"Built to last" with webstandards only (=no migrations).
This workshop focuses on migration strategies from native Java UIs build with Swing and Java FX to Web applications created with web standards without any external frameworks or libraries.
[Context: Oracle updated the Java Client Roadmap]
- HTML 5 basics
- Offline Web Apps vs. WebStart
- Swing vs. HTML views
- Testing WebApps
- Backend communication strategies
- Exposing proprietary Java protocols to Web Applications
- Migration of complex visual components and widgets (grids, tables, trees)
- Swing 2D migrations
- Swing / Java FX layout vs. Web Layout and styling
- Migration strategies and refactoring
- Building native-like clients
- Logging, debugging and troubleshooting
- Building installable desktop applications with web technologies
- Data binding and serialization strategies
- Building navigation, routing and plugins with web technologies
- Hardware integration
- Native code integration
In this workshop I would like to explain the most significant features with working code and prepared examples. As a reference, you will get a GIT repository with all snippets and solutions, as well as prepared sample applications.
A developer laptop with pre-installed node.js and npm is required, if you would like to execute your code on your machine. I will use Visual Studio Code and NetBeans for editing. You can run the examples if you like, or "hack" along with me, but taking notes is perfectly viable as well.
I/we will spend 90% of the time in code.
Feel free to contact me / register via email: workshops[-AT-]adam-bien.com